Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Meals -- in China

Breakfast at the hotel. Wonderful!! There are many chefs in tall white hats behind stainless steel cook stations. The raw ingredients are on display. They cook it right in front of you. There were many choices of fruit, cereals hot and cold, pancakes and meats, many things I recognized and many that I did not.

We could choose whatever and how much we wanted. I was ready for an adventure. I tried the boiled tofu, surprisingly delicious. an omelet. some rice cake, a filled "puff" of bread, a wonderful green vegetable, and of course Tea!

(add photo later )

Lunch was at a local restaurant. Our guide, Jerry Wong, order for us and we shared everything. pork slices with cabbage, soup with egg and seaweed, steamed celery and carrots. There was enough to eat. It was good.

(add photo later )



I am learning to eat with chop sticks!!

Supper on the other hand . . . .well, suffice it to say, "I do NOT like Peking Duck!"
It was quite a show. they slice it into exactly 108 pieces. You brush the sauce on a small "tortilla", place a few pieces of duck, vegetables and onion and then roll it and eat it.

(add photo later )

After supper we were all still hungry so we walked to the local grocery store to buy some snacks. We shared a box of ice cream bars -- 5 bars for 15 Yuan is about $2. A can of Coke cost more.

No comments:

Post a Comment